Lung cancer risk increases for both children and adults who are exposed to radon in the home. However, most people are exposed to small levels of environmental radon without consequence. Unfortunately, children usually consume higher levels of radon than adults in the same household.
Reasons for Increased Risk
Radon is a toxic gas that sticks close to the floor of the home. This means that the smallest children, who are also closest to the floor, are directly breathing the radon. Because children have a higher respiratory rate than adults, they are also taking in a higher volume of the poisoned air in the environment.
Although radon is dangerous, it’s also odorless and colorless, so most people don’t even realize that exposure is happening. Keep your family save by having your home’s radon levels checked by a certified and experienced air quality professional.