Mold can grow anywhere with organic materials, moisture, and warmth. These are the exact conditions inside a child’s sippy cup. In fact, mold has been found growing inside sippy cups lids in the past. Unfortunately, mold can pose a direct threat to the health of those exposed to it, both children and adults, although children, elderly, and sick individuals are especially at risk.

What can you do to prevent this issue? To start, make sure you thoroughly wash the sippy cup after each use. Purchase one that can be disassembled so you can wash the inside too. Make sure to use soap and warm water when washing, and then allow it to dry completely. It may also be a good idea to disinfect the cup on a monthly basis. Of course, make sure to rinse away any disinfectants before giving the cup back to your child.